Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Navigation solo!!











hey guys..sorry again for not posting for such a long long time...well, after clearing my sortie 145 ( navigation solo check) with my instructor, i earned the privilegde of navigating ard perth all on my own:) During my sortie 146, the first navigation solo, i went to towns like Bunbury and Collie. It was not a pleasant flight because Bunbury was all covered up in fog and visibility was almost 0, hence flying visually there was not possible, therefore i decided to divert to Collie instead. However, prior to reaching Collie, i realised the cloud base was about 2500 feet, and the ground elevation was abt 1200 feet. Sandwich in between i felt very uncomfortable and risky too, hence, i divert again this time back to Jandakot airport. So, the whole sortie was like diverting here and there and reaching no where except where i came from,which is Jandakot airport. The whole journey took about 2:00 hours.However, during my sortie 147, which was scheduled to go to Brookton and Narrogin, everything worked out much better than the previous sortie. Some interesting events happened along the way though.Enroute to Brookton from Jandakot airport,I lost my way somewhere in the middle, apparently the forecast wind was not very accute.So this caused my heading to be in error and i was not heading the right direction. At that point of time i did not know what to do because my surrounding was all paddock and fields,and it was difficult to identify my position. So i just prayed that the Lord will guide me to a place i know. God is faithful, soon i saw a town ahead of me and i can identify it as Pingelly, a town to the south of Brookton. From there i tracked towards Narrogin for landing and then fly again back to Jandakot airport. The whole journey took about 3 hours. Hehe, a bit long winded huh..well, i am enjoying most of my life here other than those politics tt pop up once in a while.I guess this is life and i just have to go thru it. Till my next post, c u guys again.

*For most of our navigation, we fly visually, that means we fly with reference to the ground features and map.
* Sortie means a training flight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not bad ah...i'm surprised you can narrate the whole sortie and make it sound so exciting..haha

hoongji said...

get PIGS for taking pictures while flying. :P